Every kid loves having a special space to hang out, to sleep in and even camp out in the backyard. Having several kids in the family and with summer just beginning, it was time to make a teepee for the backyard. I have been perusing Pinterest and have seen several ideas for them and the construction, yet not seeing one made from felt. Time to pull out a couple of bolts and sew up a teepee!
Construction of the teepee frame:
There are several how tos for the basic frame found on Pinterest. Here is a link to one I used with step by step photos. http://www.ehow.com/how_2071258_make-teepee.html?utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=inline&utm_campaign=fanpage
For the Felt Teepee you will need:
- 2 ½ yds of each cut by the yard Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt™, Red, Charcoal
- 9” x 12” craft cuts Kunin Eco-fi Prestofelt™, 2 Red, 2 Royal Blue, 2 Hunter, 2 Cream, 2 Yellow
- 9” x 12” craft cuts Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt™, 3 Black Star, Leaf Die cut (by Laura Kelly) www.sizzix.com
- 6 small screws
- Scissors, paper, pencil, chalk, ruler, Big Shot, Clover clips, sewing machine, matching thread, needle and thread
Making the pattern:
1. Stand teepee frame in place, spacing each board end evenly apart, approximately about 30”, doorway will be slightly larger. To create a pattern piece place felt along the doorway opening board and the next board. Use chalk to draw down length of board edge on both sides. Place felt on flat surface. Cut ½” outside of the chalk line.
2. Use the first piece of cut felt piece as a pattern. Place on the charcoal felt and cut out four pieces alternating top to bottom to maximize use of felt. Cut two more pieces from red for seven in total. Two of the charcoal pieces will be used for the doorway.
3. Align a piece of red to charcoal and alternate, red, charcoal, red, charcoal, red. Use clips to hold pieces together. Sew seams. Clip and sew a charcoal piece to either side of the red sections for doorway. Place sewn teepee cover on frame. Cut 2” x 12” strips from 2 pieces of black felt. Make a 1” slit on either side of board 6” from bottom. Pull a strip through each slit tying around board. Repeat for each board.
4. At the center back red section cut a 12” square window. Roll excess felt back and cut slits on either side. Tie a black strip through each side of window and tie.
5. Screw felt to top of each board. Cut two 4 ½” x 12” pieces from the last piece of black felt. Sew together. Wrap felt strip around top of teepee covering screws, trim off excess. Take a few stitches to hold in place.
6. Die cut stars from yellow felt and leaves from other colors of felt. Just peel and stick, pressing firmly to the tent. Adhere stars along the black piece at top and leaves down front of doorway and back window area.
There are still a couple days left until the 4th. Check out our July 4th Pinterest board for some great ideas! https://www.pinterest.com/kuningroupgeorg/july-4th-felt-crafts/
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is
available in your area.
Thank you for stopping by!