Back to school, brand new school supplies, sneakers and backpacks. Two of my grandlittles are off to school soon, one just entering kindergarden, a big year! They love their softies and teddies so I designed a couple of backpacks for them from our Eco-fi ShaggiChic. The black and white to make a panda and the walnut for a teddy bear.
1. Refer to Pattern photo and cut pieces. (Fits 8 year old and up) For Teddy Bear (Fits 4-7 year old) 12” Head, 4” Ears. Cut one pink piece 6” down from center top edge.
2. Place two back pieces RST (Right Sides Together). Sew across straight side leaving curved edge open. Turn right side out.
3. RST pin the back piece matching top edge with one of the white circles this will be front of backpack. Sew a narrow seam. Pin the second white piece RST sewing only to where the top piece is sewn.
4. Sew pink pieces together and insert into backpack. (Before doing this add an inside pocket or two to the pink lining.) Glue lining in place. Fold top of back white piece to inside and glue.
5. Fold ear pieces in half. Glue along inside edge. Refer to Photo and glue in place. Cut 1” off of end of fabric square. Fold in half RST, sew around side and ends leaving 1” opening in center. Clip corners, turn. Use 1” piece to wrap around center of bow. Cut excess and glue. Glue bow to ear.
6. Trim eye pieces slightly to have a wavy edge. Sew buttons to center. Glue eyes in place. Embroider mouth with pink floss. Glue nose over top of first stitch.
7. Place two strap pieces together. (If using Classicfelt, use three layers of felt.) Topstitch. Pin to back of bag as shown. Place on child to measure proper positioning of straps. Pin place and hand sew in place. Add closure.
Make the teddy bear version using Cashmere Tan Classicfelt for the triangle nose and ears. Cut two hearts for cheeks. These bags would be great for sleepovers too!
With back to school, that means Halloween is just around the corner! Check out our Pinterest board for some crafty costumes!
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Thank you for stopping by!