DIY Felt Birthday Party Hats
By Laura Bray
Felt is the perfect DIY birthday party supply. There is so much you can create with it! This month, I wanted to show you how I created some mini party hats from felt. The great thing about the project is that you can use them year after year. If you place a monogram on the hat like I did, it can even be an heirloom that is worn by the birthday girl or boy every year.
- Use an old, paper party hat as a template (or you can download party hat templates online). Trace the template onto a piece of Kunin Premiumfelt*, then cut it out.
- Die cut flowers from felt.
- If you want a monogram, either die cut (or cut free hand) the birthday child’s initial from felt.
- Cut to lengths of ribbon, measuring approximately 12” each.
- It’s best to attach the embellishments onto the hat before you sew it together. First lay-out the arrangement onto the felt party hat template, then pin the elements into place. Stich them onto the felt hat using embroidery floss. TIP: If you aren’t a sewer, that’s ok! Just use a fabric or craft glue to attach your embellishments!
- Use a blanket stitch to finish the hat.
- Stitch or glue the ribbons on either side of the hat. These will be used to tie the hat onto the head of the guest of honor.
*You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.