Woodland felt stuffies, these cute little creatures are all over Pinterest. Kids love them, I just had a couple days away with one of my grandlittle girls and in the hotel the bed had six stuffies all lined up. This little stuffie, a hedgehog or “Hedgie” is easy enough for the kids to make as an after school activity with friends or as a family crafty hour.
- 1/4 yard Kunin Plushfelt™, Vanilla (will make 4 Hedgies)
- 9” x 12” craft cut Kunin Classicfelt™, 1 Walnut
- Felt scrap for bow (optional)
- 1/2″ Buttons, 2 Black
- 1/2″ Pompom, 1 Brown
- 8 oz. Polyester stuffing
- Felt or Fabric adhesive
- Pencil, white pencil, ruler, sharp scissors, felt glue, needle and thread, paper, 8″, 2.5″ circle templates.
- Cut out an 8″ and 2 1/2″ circle from the plush. Cut 2 1/2″ circle in half for ears.
- Cut an oval 3″ by 5″ from paper. Use as pattern to cut one from the walnut felt. Cut four 1″ by 12″ strips from the walnut felt. Fringe strips.
- Sew a basting stitch around edge of 8″ circle. As the plush is very forgiving the size of the stitches can be uneven and large which is great for kids learning to hand sew.
- Pull stitches to gather up sides of circle into an oval. Secure stitches by taking a few stitches one on top of another. Stuff oval.
- Glue bottom walnut felt oval over stuffing applying glue around edge. Squeeze oval body if needed to fit bottom. Press firmly and let dry.
- Fold ear pieces to overlap opposite ends. glue to head. Glue buttons and nose in place as shown in photo. Glue fringed strips of felt along body beginning at back end. Overlap by 1/4″. Add a bow or flower to head for added personality!
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Hope you enjoy the first in a series of Woodland stuffies!
Thank you for stopping by.