Have you been noticing the oversize gorgeous paper flowers used for backdrops and special celebrations like weddings. My mantra is if you can make it out of paper you can make it out of felt! I LOVE crafting for my grandlittles especially for celebrations like birthdays and with five of them having summer birthdays, outdoor parties. Felt is weather resistant so ideal for outside party décor. With a Garden Party theme for Miss Anna’s third birthday and an arbor to decorate, time to DIY some fabulous felt flowers!
You will need:
1. For the Candy Pink flower cut a 6.5” circle for the back from the Friendlyfelt and punch two holes 3” apart. There are several patterns for flowers on Pinterest and a cutting system can be used for a pattern also. I used the felt size as a guideline and drew a free hand pattern for a petal 12” by 9” tapering to 6” at bottom. You can draw one and use as a pattern to cut the six in total. From the baby pink felt cut six petals 7” x 6” tapering to 4”. Cut two strips of 3” by 12” from the white felt.
2. For the White Daisy cut nine petals 9” by 4” tapering to 3” at bottom. Cut a 6.5” circle from Friendlyfelt and punch two holes 3” apart. Cut nine petals 4” by 2” tapering to 1.5” at bottom.
3. Cut 2” slits center bottom of the smaller petals and 3” slits center bottom of larger petals for both flowers. Overlap each petal at slit to create a curve in the petal and glue. Repeat for all petals for both flowers. Once dry begin with large outer petals and arrange around circle, leaving 1” in center. Glue in place. Add smaller petals over top of each larger flower petal.
4. For Candy Pink flower center the technique is one that I use all the time. Fold white felt strip in half lengthwise. Cut slits in length of piece from fold to ¼” from outside edge of strip. Begin rolling strip to the end, glue. Repeat for second piece adding to the first circle created. Glue in center of flower.
5. For daisy center simply start coiling and gluing pom pom trim into center of flower.
6. Insert chenille stems into back of the flowers. Now ready to hang and make s many s you want!
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Thank you for stopping by!